Units arrived on the scene of a three-story, garden style apartment and reported fire on the third floor. A second alarm was requested. One occupant was found in the apartment during a primary search in a back bedroom. The occupant was evacuated with firefighter assistance. EMS medically evaluated the occupant who eventually refused transport to the hospital. There were no firefighter or other civilian injuries reported.
Twelve occupants were in the apartment building at the time of the fire. An occupant of the building heard a smoke alarm sounding. Upon investigation, he observed smoke coming from one of the units. He alerted the occupants and activated the building fire alarm.
Fire Investigators determined that the fire was accidental in nature and started in an apartment on the third floor. The cause of the fire was an unattended lit candle that spread to ordinary combustibles.
Approximately 15 building occupants were displaced because of the fire. Property management of the apartment complex worked with Red Cross to assist all residents who were displaced. Damages as a result of the fire were approximately $125,000