February 13, 2020
763 Grace Street, Herndon Seminary: Mary Lee Castleman, an active member of the St. Timothy's Episcopal Mission, wanted to establish a proper school for girls. She first established the Herndon Seminary on the upper floor of the old mission building, formerly located at the corner of Grace and Vine Streets. In 1881, Mrs. Castleman built the house on this site, where she and her daughters lived and continued to run the Herndon Seminary, a private boarding and day school for young ladies. The seminary was in operation until 1926.
Stories this photo appears in:
Town installs four of the final six Historic Markers.